Tuesday, January 27, 2009

telling the truth

In an ever changing world, the truth is harder and harder to get to. We rely so heavily upon the media to tell us the facts, that we forget that the media is governed not by an infinite body of honest people but by those with an agenda. Where we watch movies filled with conspiracies, plots filled with doubt and mistrust, it is not surprising that in real life we discount even the most reliable sources (such as the date inside the frame of a camera that is recording).

We are so influenced by the world cynicism that we can't even allow ourselves to distinguish between the fact that people are being killed in NE Sri Lanka and Gaza - and the reason for it. Irrespective of race and religion. The fact that the BBC won't air the Gaza appeal is a perfect example of an agenda - it shows they are obviously too afraid to anger the Jewish community that sits so silently and forebodingly in the background.

I have been battling internally these past few days with the pictures and words I have seen, and the accounts I have been reading - who do we trust? How do we really win a war? How do we allow people to be freed without risking the evil snake of a rebel group to rearm and cause more destruction? How in the hell did we get into this mess? And why, after 30 years of war can we not just have an honest agenda?

I am sick and tired of not knowing who to believe - who do you trust? Its incredible how often one faces that question in a day in the life of. Do I trust the guy selling me tube ticket on the street? Do I trust the news source on my computer screen? Do I trust the label? Do I trust an acquaintance's efforts to be concerned with my life? I mean when did the world get so distrustful (is that even a word?)?.

I've just finished reading a book on JFK but it cites RFK's struggle post assassination to search for the truth ("Brothers" by David Talbot). It reignited my crazed obsession with the Kennedy's and showed me how the world shifted so sharply towards cynicism and weariness in such a short period of time.

Ok, rant over. I just believe it's time to do something and stop sitting back and taking all the crap that the media and "experts" keep giving us - how and why is it so hard to find something so simple like the truth? So, screw mistrust or distrust (I need a dictionary) - I'm going to clear my head, and start all over again.

No comments: