Friday, July 18, 2008

Legacy of love

I have been contemplating our existence here on earth. Yes, a fairly heavy Friday morning I suppose. But not in a morbid way, just in a sort of - so what are we achieving at the moment? I can't believe the things I hear about this so-called recession (anyone recall the theory of mass hysteria/wag the dog?).

Then there are the realities of knife crime, the Gaza strip and Israel, Iran and the world, Nigeria, Zimbabwe, Sri Lanka, the American election... what the hell is going on? And then there's the question of what I, as an individual am achieving, what is my impact on the world around me? Honestly, when I am gone one day - what have I left behind? I recall books I used to read with my grandfather and we used to talk about "all my worldly possessions" as a phrase which used to come up often. What are they? They are not clothes, belts, shoes, books or cars. They are people we have had in our lives and how we treated them, how we loved them, how we made them feel and that legacy of love is what we leave behind.

This train of thought has nothing to do with the wonderful classical music I am listening to on Radio 4's Desert island discs.

No comments: